Its that time of year again... my summer is officially over. I couldn't have asked for better timing with the past 7 months.... or year really. Being a long-term substitute in Kodiak was the perfect job. I was able to fall in love with my kids, take on a classroom by myself, learn so much, and be able to come back after Christmas with more substitute jobs and a flexible schedule. It allowed me to move, spend time at home, move to Houma, and get our house settled before starting work. God's timing is impeccable.
This summer has not been a lazy one for me. You have seen our house transformations (which I just finished the last coat on the bathroom cabinets so once I put them back together and get the hardware tomorrow you will get to see them) and I have also done quite a bit for my classroom. I haven't really been able to get in there this summer, but this week is the week! I can't wait to get in, start going through all of the stuff, and moving my stuff in. I have spent countless hours organizing, planning, researching, and creating things for my room at home. I want it to be perfect... but I also want it to be welcoming and beautiful for my first graders.
To be a teacher, you need to be creative. I never really thought I had the creative gene, but with a little help from Pinterest, I have been able to create things from recycled items. I used the ideas I have seen, but gave everything my own style and twist. Here are two things that I thought turned out well.
This
is my name stick can and my box top collector. With the name stick can,
I will have each child's name on a fat popsicle stick. I will keep it
up at the front of the room and its a great thing to have so I am not
always picking the same students. I can't see the names so it is useful
for picking students in a random order. The can is an old recycled
peanut can. The box tops is kind of self-explanatory. I made it out of
an old crystal light canister. Pretty clever huh?
One other thing I found on Pinterest that is very useful for the outside of the classroom is a: "Where are We?" sign. This helps visitors, other teachers, parents, and administrators know where we are when we are not in the room. I had an old cookie sheet that had Pam stains that would not come off and was about to throw it away. I washed it really well, painted it, and then added the paper with modge podge. A little ribbon and there ya go! A new sign! I will have a magnet that either I or another student will put on top of a circle to tell where we are when we are out of the room.
Both of these were basically free! I had all of the materials at home, I just printed what I needed and got to crafting! I thought they turned out cute! My mom has been saving all types of cans for me... so I will be creating more useful classroom items with these recycled items.
Well... its off to more school work and crafting today! Plus I have to get those doors back on the cabinets. Check back this week to see the before and after pictures! I think they are going to look great!


No comments:
Post a Comment