Saturday, March 29, 2014

Our First Mardi Gras

The next big event in March was Mardi Gras. I really didn't know what I was getting myself into. We got a full week off from school to partake in all of the festivities. However, everything actually began about two weeks before actual Mardi Gras day.  We experienced our first real Louisiana King Cake, a crawfish boil, and several parades. King cake is a special bright colored cake made during this holiday. It has bright colored sprinkles on top and the baker hides a plastic baby inside. If you get the baby, its your job to provide the next king cake. Its delicious! I found this gem at the grocery store...


It has chunks of king cake in it... talk about some kind of good! 


 My first event was a night parade in Houma on a Friday. This was the first parade in Houma and it was an all male parade. People are in "krewes" and they have their own float- its kind of like fraternities and sororities- you get together throughout the year for events and do things together.  We were invited to watch this parade at a house that was on the parade route. It was not lived in, it was owned only to have to tale-gate for parades three weeks out of the entire year. (I told you they take it seriously here). It was decorated in all kinds of Mardi Gras decor on the inside-- really cool.  I made a sign to draw some attention and whenever someone on a float read it I was pounded with beads, footballs, and all kinds of things. They loved it!


The dogs joined us for another parade. All the floats lined up in the high school behind our house. When we came home we had about 50 beads and some footballs in our backyard from the floats throwing to our neighborhood. Brody and Sadie dressed up too!

 This boy was amazed at all the people and floats. He just sat in my lap as content as could be people watching. Between traveling to Alaska and now experiencing Mardi Gras, he is very cultured!

Kramer flew down from Alaska to experience some of the fun. The Sunday before Mardi Gras day we decided to go to New Orleans to experience a day parade.  I wasn't really looking forward to it because I had a feeling it was going to be a bunch of out of control people making poor choices and being obnoxious. However, I was pleasantly surprised.  These people know how to have a good time. It was the most family oriented event I have ever seen. People had tents, tailgates, chairs, food, drinks, and music. They even had these ladders that were all custom made with a seat attached to the top so that the kids could sit safely while catching beads. 


 The bands, dancers, and floats were amazing. It was so much fun to watch! 

It is definitely an event that I enjoyed experiencing! Everyone just enjoyed being off work, spending time with family, and genuinely having a good time.  I am looking forward to next year.




No comments:

Post a Comment