Tuesday, April 23, 2013

My First Real Encounter with Shrimp

I LOVE seafood... especially shrimp. Justin surprised me and bought two pounds of fresh shrimp right off a boat on his way home from work this weekend. I eat shrimp all of the time... but I have never learned or attempted to devein fresh shrimp. I knew that it was going to be an interesting experience... and so did Justin (so he captured me on camera). 

Look at how big they are!


I purchased a shrimp deveiner tool because I had a feeling I would be doing this quite frequently. However, luckily Regan called while I was doing this and walked me through it (and laughed at me a little).

 Here we go.... (pardon my roughness-- I had been unpacking and cleaning all day) 

  

*Please notice the disgusted look on my face. I was not very into it at first... but then I got the hang of it and it wasn't so bad. 

 Ta da! Oh man... it was delicious (if I do say so myself). 

I learned a lot from this new experience.... 1) Shrimp does not magically devein and peel itself  2) I have more of a respect for people that prepare seafood (especially shrimp) for you. 3) Fresh seafood is WAYYYYY better than the frozen stuff... so all the work is worth it! :)

I hope to have many cajun inspired and seafood recipes to blog about in the future. Louisiana knows how to prepare food... so I plan to learn all that I can while I am here!

No comments:

Post a Comment